Sunday, January 17, 2010

A is for AGAVE


What is agave? I had never heard of agave (except for the tour of the tequila farm I didn't go on in Mexico) until I was watching the food channel the other day and Giada de Laurentiis was using it in a recipe for grilled salmon. Agave is a natural sweetener with all kinds of health benefits!

I love my sugar and am not a big fan of artificial sweeteners of any kind, so although this is a "natural" sweetener, I was a little hesitant to try it. But when I was in Fry's last week, there it was in the middle of the aisle with the baking products so I picked some up. When I got home, I peeled the lid off and hesitantly took a little taste. Yummy! It was delicious!

Just a brief overview of AGAVE
-AGAVE is a unique blend of the nectars derived from the Agave Plant
-AGAVE is 1.4 times sweeter than sugar...so you use less
-AGAVE saves 25-40% in carbohydrate calories (low on the glycemic index)
-AGAVE contains inulin, a prebiotic fiber
-AGAVE contains naturally occurring vitamins and minerals,including calcium
-AGAVE is diabetic friendly
-AGAVE has a long shelf life
For more information, go to http://www.xagave.com/agave-quickfacts.html

Perfect substitute for sugar and honey (and doesn't crystallize like honey!)

*note...Xagave is a brand name. There are other agave nectars available, but this is the one I tried.

1 comment:

  1. I used it last night in whipping cream instead of sugar! It whipped up to perfection with no graininess. The flavor was perfect!

    ReplyDelete